Tuesday, July 3, 2012

becoming

"there is a season for wildness, 
and a season for settledness. 
This is neither. 
This is a season about becoming."



earlier this morning I went to watch the sunrise.
I sat on the deck, in my favorite chair overlooking the lake. and waited, with bleary eyes, for the sun to rise.
I was expectant.
the sky was completely hazy, and there was no hint of the sun except for a tiny slit in the clouds. A tiny little glimpse.
I wondered how much prettier it probably looked from up above. on the other side of all of the haze.

I was impatient. tired of waiting for it to be more.
to be prettier. to be what I expected.
What I wanted.

And I felt the Lord tell me to wait. 
Then, at 6:58 the sun finally peeked through, and filled the sky with so much more than I could have imagined.
much more than I could have ever expected.

what a sweet and silent promise.
to just wait. For His time. He is making this life so much more beautiful that any of us could ever expect.
There are seasons of fullness and there are seasons of emptiness.
seasons of joy and seasons of pain.
and they are ALL good and all perfectly orchestrated by a God who PROMISES that He knows where we are going (job 23:10)
and promises that He has so much good for us. More than we can even begin to imagine.
If we would just rest and trust in Him.

there is so much life to be had.
not in beautiful places and relationships and experiences and adventures alone.
but in Him. In knowing him. 
The Lord sets the boundaries of our lives and asks us to remain faithful in and through them. (Acts 17:26) To be present in them.
He meets us here. Right here. In our joys and our pains.
Intimately and perfectly.
With so much grace.

There is no greater love.
It is overwhelming.

So, on this eve of my favorite holiday of the year, I pray for more.
For more waiting and more trusting and more hurting and healing.
More celebrating and living and eating and drinking and loving. 

We will see so much more beauty than we could have ever expected on the day we get to meet Him face to face. Oh my I can't wait.

 
Plough deep in me, great Lord,
heavenly Husbandman,
that my being may be a tilled field,
the roots of grace spreading far and wide,
until You alone are seen in me,
Your beauty golden like summer harvest,
Your fruitfulness as autumn plenty.
I have no master but You,
no law but Your will,
no delight but in You,
no wealth but that which You give,
no good but of that which You bless,
no peace but that which You bestow.
I am nothing but what You make of me.
I have nothing but what I receive from You.
I can be nothing but what grace adorns me.

Quarry me deep, dear Lord,
and then fill me to overflowing with living water.
- the valley of vision
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment