Wednesday, December 7, 2011

much is expected.

i sell flowers for a living.
i sit people down, in a high end culinary store, day in and day out, serve them glasses of champagne, and talk to them about their weddings, and design, and create, and dream.
I live in a pretty world. i live a dreamy life.
its a good job.
a very very good job.
I live my days from 9:30ish to 5:30 with two of the most inspiring, life-giving, gospel-centered women I've ever know.
they live their lives with Jesus' name on their lips. 
And i am truly blessed.

but its a funny feeling. for each of us. to walk away each day. from this job. these days. to know THIS is where the Lord has me. THIS is where I must be. to declare his name and his love. but oh my how much more HE longs for me to move than I do in my everyday. to serve. and to humble myself.

(i lie in the dust, revive me by your word. psalm 119:25)

it is a chilly night. and im craving a grilled cheese. i complain in my head that its going to cost me $7.00 for my dinner.
then, like a slap in the face. im reminded.
a woman, with her 7 year old little boy huddled into the back seat of their car at the gas station, loaded with everything they own, approaches me. and asks me. ME. to buy her little boy some dinner. a hot dog inside the convenience store. and some juice. i say, absolutely. i ask her if shes okay.
she tells me everything is going to be fine. shes sure of it. everything's going to be fine.
i wish her well. ask her if she needs anything else. she says no. and walks away.
it costs me $3.89 to buy her little boy some food.
i get back into my car, and weep.

(god left him, to try him, that he might know all that was in his heart. 2 Chronicles 32:31)

i am humbled. i am so blind. so ignorant. so apathetic.
to the brokeness of this world.
to the little ones all around the world who fight day in and day out to EAT. to not starve.
to DRINK. and not thirst. to be WARM. and SAFE from harm.
not a day in my life has gone by that i have had to FIGHT for any of these things.
I am the minority of this world.
this brokenness is so real. it cannot be ignored. it cannot be ignored because I am comfortable.

(For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required. Luke 12:48)

this is not something we ignore. this is NOT something I can ignore.
If i believe, like i say i do, that a GRACIOUS, compassionate, LOVING, infinitely powerful, KIND,
radiant GOD decided to save me. and provide for me in the ways He has.
I cannot ignore.

I am called. to care for the orphan. and the widow. I am called to give a cup of water to the least of these. and to welcome into my home those without warmth.
I am called to share the gospel of JESUS CHRIST with everyone I see. whether with words. or my life. or my love. I am called.
We all are.

I have 3 pairs of boots. 8 warm jackets. probably 100 shirts. 5 pairs of jeans. and three different kinds of shampoo. I live in a home, in the suburbs, with heat. I have my own room. with a bed. and blankets. and pillows. I take hot showers every day. I eat until I am full. I own and read books. I am loved completely and fully by my parents. I have friends who would go a million miles and back to help me.
I am college educated. I drive a nice car. I own my own copy of the bible. actually I own FIVE of my own copy of the bible. I know how to read. I know how to write. I can turn on my faucet, and clean, safe water comes pouring out.

I have been given much. I have been given much. I have been given so much.

MUCH. is expected.


Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father 
means caring for orphans and widows 
in their distress and 
refusing to let the world corrupt you.
James 1:27 

so if we have enough food and clothing, let us be content.
1 Timothy 6:8



'tis the season to give. to give freely. and to give much.
Merry Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment